As The GameCube turns 20, we look back on Nintendo's beloved, maligned, one-of-a kind console

rammensat

Another year, another anniversary for the Nintendo GameCube – however as it reaches it's 20th year, it's hard not to look back wistfully on the console that framed so many memories for TechRadar's staffers, despite its well-known sales woes.

One of the best anecdotes revolving around on Twitter is of a Nintendo sales meeting attended by its previous head of communications, Robert Saunders, who recalls someone's short energy over sales figures of 39,000 consoles in a single week – which ended up being 39 units instead.

Yet, despite heavy competition from the PS2 and original Xbox consoles around the GameCube's launch, those of us who were sufficiently fortunate to possess a purple block and its small, spinning game disks framed some wonderful memories along the way.

It was the console that spawned some of the best games of the era, from Wind Waker and Twilight Princess to Super Mario Sunshine, and it's inevitable before some of the best GameCube games eventually make their way to Nintendo Switch Online (regardless of whether the GameBoy gets there first).

I was one of those individuals who truly strolled around the house with my GameCube like it was a little handbag, yet given I was only seven years old when it came out I was possible emulating my youth legend – Tinky Winky from the Teletubbies. I even had the snazzy Indigo version.

I have my fond memories of playing Mario Kart: Double Dash and Sonic Heroes, however one that really stands out came many years later when an attractive more established kid loaned me his duplicate of Resident Evil (2002 remake). I'm a tremendous coward yet desperately wanted him to think I was cool so I constrained myself to play through it and gave myself a deep rooted fear of zombies in the process. Turns out he was gay and I still can't play loathsomeness games so I scared myself to no end.

Overwatch concept art shows McCree used to have a different name anyway

Hades update finally fixes Xbox achievement issues

Unpacking Coming to Xbox Game Pass in November

Deltarune Chapter 2 Finally Has A Release Date

Deathloop developer is “researching” stuttering issues in the PC version

Sega to announce new role-playing game at Tokyo Game Show 2021

Rumor: N64 games could be coming to Nintendo Switch

The Last of Us 2 multiplayer may include bots

Splitgate Confirms Forge Mode Map Editor Will Activate Halo Fanbase

Stunning art blends Genshin’s fate and impact

343 knocks down the Halo 5 PC port rumors

It's no exaggeration to say that the GameCube launched my adoration for gaming. I'd played with a few more established consoles – a second-hand N64 from a car boot sale, for one – however it's the GameCube that pulled me in and started the day-long sessions that marred so a lot of my teenage years. Not to mention the times I'd purchase numerous controllers and welcome my friends around to play, prior to returning inside a week to get my pocket money discounted.